Saturday, January 17, 2009

the thrills and chills of pre-inauguration

I'm sitting in my car; it's seven thirty in the morning, four degrees outside, and not much warmer in my car. As I'm waiting for someone else to arrive at my new workplace to open the door, I'm listening to NPR. They're covering a story on the books Barack Obama has been reading.

My undeniable crush deepens. I know I am not alone in this. An eloquent, intelligent, proactive, thoughtful hunk is about to be our president. Is anyone else shaking with anticipation? Given the incredible amount of media coverage, the millions anticipated to be present for his inauguration, and the air of excitement that is coursing through every city in America, yeah, I think so.

But the excitement is dampened just a little by the enormity of what we're facing. A war that has lasted too long. A world economy in shambles. Israel is talking about upping their offensive in Gaza while Bin Laden sounds his battle cry for retaliation. Our foreign relations are in disrepair. The environment is deteriorating. And the entire WORLD is looking at Obama to step in and fix it all. Whispers of assassimation make me want to cry. Can my superhero do it? Will he soar? Or is it that no matter what he does, he will come under relentless attack for not being good enough, fast enough, smart enough?

How about we step up and, instead of complaining, ask what we can do to help? I want to help. I want Obama to say, Americans, here's what I need from you. . . And I'll do it. I will call my congressman or ride my bike to work or buy stock in potatoes or get my teeth cleaned or do whatever it is I need to do to show my support for this great country and its new and improved leadership.

Mr. Obama, you must be wildly aware of this already, but we are behind you. May you have peace as you take on this new role. May you be well and happy, your family blessed, and your actions guided by wisdom. And finally, thanks. This is a big job, and I'm glad you're the one to do it.

No comments:

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia