Saturday, August 22, 2009

It was the wettest of times it was the best of times.

We've finished, Kaput, done, end-o-rama or however else you'd put it. It was an utterly exhausting and exhilarating challenge, and I for one am truly glad that I'm no longer walking twenty miles a day with thirty pounds upon my shoulders; I think I can speak for Anna on that account as well. We completed our climb up Mount Katahdin, the northern terminus of the AT, on the 10th of August and are currently settling back into our home and life back in Charlottesville, Virginia.

It was a wet and wild ride during those 5 months in the woods and we would like to extend our gratitude to all of our family and friends who helped us along the way. Mamacita aka Alison Montgomery, your skill in dehydrating tasty foods and then sending them to odd locations was the envy of our trail companions. Because of you we truly ate better than any other hikers. Jessie and Sunny, Graeme and Nicole, Jeremy, Ryan, Evan and Kates, Anna O., Alison (mamacita), Leah (big sis), J. Ben Ranz (rhymes with Hands) Kirby (papa scoutmaster) and all our other friends and family who hiked with us on the trail, your smiles, conversations and laughter kept our souls happy (even though it rained all the time). Thank you.

Enjoy the Pics and Thanks again to all that made this journey possible.

A new sign this year.



A cow moose about forty feet off the trail.


Pop, Anna and I right before the hike up Katahdin.


A nice little lake in the Hundred Mile Wilderness and that is real sunshine on our faces.


Love T&A.

3 comments:

Em Cee McG said...

you guys are my heroes, for real.

Tammy said...

Hey guys...

I think of you from time to time as I sit in my hut in the dark at night. Wondered if you were doing well and whether I had lost touch. Just found your blog through Britta's, and I see you have been pretty busy. Hope life is treating you well. I miss hanging in Samaipata with you guys. Those were some good times.

Take care of yourselves. Sending love from africa,

tammy

Anonymous said...

That makes two of us from WAHS '96 (though I left in '94) who have hiked the AT. Must've been something in the water. ;) Congratulations!

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia