Friday, April 27, 2007

cottage living

We parted ways with Illinois on Sunday morning and said aloha, Indiana! Taking highway 12 all the way from Chicago to my family's cottage in Michigan, we got to see all the beauties that northern Indiana and Southern Michigan have to offer. Just to the north of Gary, Indiana is a right rad state park on the shores of Lake Michigan. Sand dunes, clear blue water, beautiful beaches, huge factories just down the way puffing smoke into the otherwise clear, blue sky.


Tom at the Indiana sand dunes park on Lake Michigan


After our short stop in Indiana, we made our way to the cottage, my family’s 130 year old summer home on Sand Lake, Michigan. Lots of family history here. My mom came here every summer as a girl; it was her family’s vacation home when she was young, and my parents bought it back when I was three. I’ve been here every summer of my life. It's where I learned to swim, ski, drive, smoke, etc, lots of formative experiences in this place. I suppose I won't be making it for the next few summers, so I was grateful to pay my respects this spring. It was 80 degrees when we arrived and broke in on Sunday afternoon (someone had sealed up the dog door, how we usually get in). Since then it's been a bit cold and drizzly, so we've spent the quiet hours of the days reading, fishing, cooking, and sitting on the dock. I love this place and I'll miss it lots.



Tom on the dock at the cottage.


Reading by the fire. Actually I don't read. I just harrass Tom and take pictures while he reads.

No comments:

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia