Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30: Maupin Field Shelter, VA

831.7 miles.

Perfect hiking day and another easy one. It was cool and cloudy and we got to where we were going by 1:00. There were gorgeous wildflowers all the way -spiderwort, pussytoes, trillium, and a pile of new ones I don't know.

Going over three ridges we climbed the last big mountain along the trail until we get to Vermont. I'll kind of miss those big ass-kickers.

Tom and I hiked this same section a few years ago for a weekend trip, and we have a picture of us about half way up the mountain looking like we're going to keel over. I remember when we got to the top and down the other side thinking I was going to barf. This time I was hardly out of breath. Sure is nice being in shape.

Skipping ahead 200 miles has landed us up the trail with the young and ambitious. All the hikers we've met up this far are guys in their young 20's covering 20 to 30 miles a day -kind of makes us look lazy. I think I'll be glad when we're back in with our cohort of slightly less maniacal trekers.

No comments:

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia