Saturday, January 19, 2008

Some Goings On.

Here in Oki Doke it is hot, very hot. One of the common sayings here is “Hace Caloooooor, pue!” which essentially functions as a hello and means “it is hhhhoooot”. Hot it is, and the ways we confront and deal with the heat is avoidance, showers (sometimes three to four a day), fans, and drinking lots of water. Of course heat usually isn’t bad all by itself, but here we like adding the jungle humidity to the mix, it just makes for a more interesting heat. I washed my clothes yesterday at roughly nine in the morning and they were still wet by ten o’clock that evening, and no, it did not rain. Like I said, ‘interesting’.
I will never live in such a climate again. Give me freezing sleet, blustery winds, snow and ice any day over this mosquito steam bath. The skeeters here are relentless and there breeding grounds of standing water are now all over the place with the heavy rains we’ve received as of late. Thank the gods that Peace Corps gives us ‘OFF’ insect repellant and hydrocortisone for the bites when we don’t apply enough ‘OFF’.
I’m not sure if it is apparent in the blog pictures but my hair was getting fairly long, about six inches or so. I’ve always thought it would be cool to have long hair, not forever but for a short time and that short time is up, having long hair feels like I’ve got a stocking cap on and it just too much in the heat. So in the next couple of blogs I’ll be sporting a new cooler hairdo.
As for Anna and I we have a lot of fun together although, being in almost constant proximity can be a truly wonderful thing but, to be honest it can also be a bit demanding. Constant proximity is for honeymoons and honeymoons do not last two years for a reason. Time apart is important and if I remember correctly makes the heart grow fonder. We are starting to focus more of our time on separate projects which, I prefer for a number of reasons but namely because it keeps us more in touch versus being in constant contact throughout the day. It sounds counterintuitive but it works.
Sounds as though are projects are starting to gain some momentum. Our little meetings are starting to turn into bigger meetings enveloping more important people in the community. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we’ll be presenting the topic on how to pay for the water testing lab that Anna and I proposed this week. Ideally, I would love if the money was available around June of ’08 when we are tentatively planning a return to the great ole “yoosa” (that’s how USA is pronounced here) and when we return from the trip we’d bring the lab equipment back.
Well that about settles it for what is going on here (a few pic's down below). We hope all is well in good ole yoosa and we miss you all. Tom.


Playing volleybal with the Catholic Volunteers and a couple sisters. Even with God on our side we lost all four matches.



My 29th birthday party.



Big frog.


All that hair on the ground was mine. My shorter haircut feels much better in the heat.

1 comment:

Em Cee McG said...

You're right, absence does make the heart grow fonder. So you should come to Carnaval PUEEE!

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia