Thursday, January 10, 2008

up into the frey


This is the view from our hostel in Bariloche, looking over Nahuel Huapi Lake. Those mountains to the left are what we're about to climb.



There first day of this six day backpack extravaganza was a gentle climb up to the frey. So gentle I only had to stop for about two hours to catch some air and give a pep talk to my legs along the way. We haven't seen nor walked upon a hill in five months. I'm little out of shape. But it sure was pretty.


Once we got to the top, Tom dropped dead, I soaked my feet in the cold lake, and then we made camp, where we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon in the sun.




Tom and Matt, chillin and laughing by the lake.




Anna and Maggie taking a bath.


Our trusty tents.



Cookin some stuff.



The refugio at the frey (that's what they call mountain cabins where they sell beds and food and booze to weary travelers) .





the next morning we headed straight up a mountain to Lake Schmoll, which I almost fell in. But didn't.







If it looks badass, that's cause it is.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have recently found your blog through a web search I did to find info on Patagonia, and I am just enchanted by the whole darn thing. What a beautiful time you are having, such an adventure! I am envious, inspired, and cheering you on. Funny you come from C-ville..one of my favourite places to visit ever. MUDHOUSE! yum :)Anyhow, wanted to say hello...keep sharing your tale...I dream of going there one day.

Em Cee McG said...

I have that same sierra designs tent, it freaking rocks.

Anonymous said...

Anna...Tom...where is my arse? Where are your arses? Matt's arse?
Befuddled, Maggie

anna sullivan said...

Hi Kateri!

Thanks for checking out our blog.

Mudhouse rocks!

So does Patagonia. Go there. We stayed in San Carlos de Bariloche, and did some awesome backpacking around the area. Also rented a car and drove through Chile to see the Pacific. It was a rad trip. Really beautiful. If you have any questions, shoot me an email. annabsullivan@gmail.com

Peace,

anna

anna sullivan said...

Mags,

yeah, where is your arse? I got sidetracked on the photos -take so dang long to publish! How bout i make you guys a cd of all our photos and you can do the same for us.

And Guy Clark. . . really good. Thanks for the tunes.

Oh, and for the best effing vacation of my life.

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia