Monday, August 13, 2007

got my man back


Having Tom back by my side makes me feel like I’m home. We are home, I guess. Two years here will be as long as we’ve lived anywhere else, and we’re doing a fine job of settling in, making this pink box a home, and getting to know our neighbors and our town. I like it here. There’s plenty of work for us to do, plenty of good people to get to know, plenty of hours in every day.

This is not a place of rushing. From noon to three every day the town takes a nap –stores close, people go home, food is eaten, rests are taken. Life is good. When we walk by a store, the owner invites us in and puts a snack in our hands. When we pass a house of people we’ve recently met, they holler at us to stop in for a bit. People are kind, the weather is gorgeous, the breeze is constant, the love of my life is here. Not much to complain about.


Tom, Rudy (the peace corps volunteer who was here before us), Tomoko, and Shinobu, a few new friends we have made. They took us out to their farm to play in the wheat -so beautiful.



We took a tour of the local grain factory to see how fields of wheat are magically turned into bags of flour. This is us playing in a giant warehouse of soy beans. Good fun.


Our first pet. His name is senor gecko.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, I'm just about elated beyond all belief!!!!! I'm so excited you guys are THERE!!!! Christa was here for a visit (which was fabulous) and we were wondering about you two. I was hoping you'd gone on as planned and joined the Peace Corps, but hadn't heard! Obviously I have not... life took a couple different turns for me... But - keep the blog going, I love reading up on you two! It sounds like life is already being so good to you there... it is so refreshing to find what you can do without... I miss that... I got a really good taste of that in India... Well, it's late, time for me to hit the sack (and what a fuddy duddy - its not even 9 yet... sigh... is this what it's like to get old? I hope not. I'll reconcile it by getting up in the morning to water my lovely garden before work). Love and hugs to both of you! And I miss you heaps, Anna! - Jamie K

Anonymous said...

anna- i didn't even know you had gone yet. I kept thinking i would get to c-ville before you left. ooops. have you heard we are in charleston now? life at the beach is totally crucial (to use a college term). all your pictures are amazing as usual. keep'em coming. oh-did you hear jessie had a second baby? two girls now! give tom a punch on the shoulder for me.
akc

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia