Saturday, August 4, 2007

Living without

In my conversation with my sister Leah, she mentioned it would be cool if I passed on ideas from living the 3rd world life about the things we can do without, how I’m learning to make life simpler. For starters, I’m listening to a Van Morrison album that’s skipping through every song. I don’t really think I would put up with that at home –I’d delete the files, hop online, download another copy. But I can’t do that here, and this is the album I want to listen to, so I’m enjoying it, skips and all.

Other things I’m finding I can do without: a mirror (although I do occasionally check my reflection in store windows to make sure I’m not getting too weird), a washer and dryer, a dishwasher, more dishes than the two of us use, a bed frame, more shoes or clothes than I’ll wear in three weeks, a television, a car, a daily schedule, a big fridge (a little one will suffice for keeping veggies fresh and beers cold), grocery stores with a million options, a big paycheck, credit cards, hot water, and a watch.

Things I can’t do without: the people I love, a healthy body, supportive friends and family, a good night’s sleep, music, celebration, good food, a feeling of purpose, play, being able to express myself, and comfy shoes.

In the last three months I haven’t been stressed about a deadline, felt the pressure of a stack of bills, been late for an appointment, or worried about looking good enough. It’s freeing and it’s fun to live like this –little stuff, lots of purpose. I can’t imagine heading to a desk job, enduring a commute, and worrying about insurance premiums right now. That may be my lot later in life, but for now, I’ll enjoy what I’ve got. And what I don’t got.

Things I wish I were not living without:

fam



friends



favorite places




and delicious beer


We miss you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro and sis
don't really know what is going on with the wedding date, but it sounds like deployment might be pushed up to as soon as march of 08 hopefully not, but that is what it sounds like i'll let you know more in sept when we get back from talking with Jenna's parents

Tomas Sullivan said...

sweet, well not the part about Iraq, but let me know asap, anna and I should have time to come back for a lovely february wedding. good luck hope you don't have to go, talk with you later.

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia