Saturday, August 4, 2007

sometimes my phone rings, and its like magic!

I was in the marketplace in Montero today, a big town down the road from Okinawa, looking for a few things to make our four empty rooms a home. Bolivian markets are kind of like a mall full of cheap junk dumped upside down; in them you can find all things useless and useful, and with my new and improved salary of $6 a day, I was pretty excited to be there.

I was even more excited when I get a phone call from my sister Leah (see, it’s that easy, you can just call me!). I hung out in the aisle between the cow tongues and the flip-flops while we caught up and laughed and cheered each other on in what we’re up to. I have an awesome family. Sometimes I wonder why I felt such a strong need to get out and explore the world when the people I’m most crazy about and comfortable with are back home. I like to think there’s nothing to regret about venturing out for a while, growing, learning, facing challenges, feeling a little less than comfortable. I hope I’m right. I miss home, but I like where I am and what I’m doing, and I hope I come out cooler, smarter, wiser for it.


This is the street we live on. This morning I found out that the towns beer wholesaler is just across the way. God is smiling on us.



Okinawa*s cute church off the plaza. Palm trees, cool eh? There are also bananas, avacados, oranges, lemons, papayas, and a variety of bolivian fruits you*ve never heard of growing here. Life is good.


This is our yard of dirt and trees. Bolivians in the country generally have dirt yards, which they sweep a few times a week to keep the dust down and make sure any grass or other such thing does not pop up. That makes sense, right? I will put up more pics as we pimp our house and yard -don*t expect any miracles though. I hope to spend most of my time building potties and setting up a trash collection programs and other fancy activities.
Sorry for the asterisks, the apostrophe is out on this keyboard. Such is life when you*re dependent on internet cafes. Still, I am lucky to have that.

No comments:

Pics from North Carolina to Virginia